Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Share This Article:

Trojans get victory in ‘must-win’ game

Trojans get victory in ‘must-win’ game

Central Lafourche head football coach Keith Menard has said all season that his Trojans can be a force if they’d consistently play a full, 48-minute game devoid of mental mistakes and execution errors.

Mission accomplished.

The Trojans played arguably their best game of the season on Friday night, rushing past Terrebonne in a 42-28 road win – a victory that spoiled the Tigers’ homecoming festivities.

The win moved Central Lafourche to 4-4 on the season, giving the team a clear path to the postseason with just two weeks left to play.

“It’s never perfect. Any coach will always find something to nitpick and critique, but I thought that we played well,” Menard said after the win. “I thought at the line of scrimmage, we did an excellent job imposing our win and our style of play on those guys, and I think that paid off and allowed us to get a big, much-needed win.”

For Central Lafourche, it was all about the rushing offense on Friday night.
The Trojans gashed Terrebonne up and down the field, accumulating 300 of their 463 total yards on the ground.
Central Lafourche struck first in the middle of the first quarter when halfback Thomas Wesley scampered into the end zone from 11 yards out. After a failed 2-point conversion, the Trojans led 6-0.

Wesley was huge in the game, accumulating more than 100 yards rushing, 90-plus-yards receiving and four combined touchdowns.

His teammate Da’Quan Gray was just as good, rushing for 108 yards on 21 carries with a touchdown of his own.
“Those two guys never cease to amaze me,” Menard said. “They make plays even when the other team knows it’s coming. It’s a testament to how great those guys are.”

Not wanting to be embarrassed on homecoming, Terrebonne fought back and went ahead 7-6 late in the first quarter when quarterback Justin Theriot hit receiver Devon Madison on a 12-yard touchdown strike.

In the second quarter, Central Lafourche topped Terrebonne, scoring three touchdowns to the Tigers’ one to take control of the game.

Wesley scored the first two touchdowns in the second quarter for Central, one on the ground and one as a receiver, putting the Trojans ahead 20-7.

Terrebonne matched the touchdown with one of its own – a seven-yard run from Joseph Alvis to cut the lead to 20-14.

But just seconds before halftime and with Terrebonne threatening to score, Central Lafourche took control for good when Anfernee Poindexter intercepted a pass and took it 75 yards for a touchdown. After a successful 2-point conversion, Central went to the lockers up 28-14.

In the second half, Terrebonne cut the lead to 28-21, but for every rally the Tigers made, the Trojans had an answer.

Wesley scored early in the fourth quarter to put Central ahead 35-21.

From there, the teams traded touchdowns to bring the game to its final margin.
With the win, the Trojans improved to 4-4 … in prime position to sneak into the postseason in Class 5A. The Trojans close out the season with games against Hahnville and Thibodaux.

“It’s an exciting time,” Menard said. “But we have a lot of work to do. We know we have to keep getting better.”

Destrehan wallops South Lafourche in shutout win

While the Trojans were celebrating their road win against Terrebonne on Friday night, their neighbors to the south didn’t quite have the same luck.

The Tarpons were lambasted 55-0 on Friday at Destrehan, succumbing to the No. 2 team in Louisiana for Class 5A.

The Wildcats gained more than 500 yards in the win, while limiting the Tarpons to fewer than 100 yards on the night.

The win improves Destrehan’s unbeaten record to a perfect 8-0. With the loss, the Tarpons are now 4-4 on the year.

“It was a total butt-whooping. What else can you say?” South Lafourche coach Dennis Skains said. “That’s a great football team over there that we played. And when you play a great team and you don’t play your best, this is what happens. We needed to play a great game to beat those guys, and unfortunately, we really didn’t play very well at all.”

For South Lafourche, it was over pretty early. The Tarpons won the coin toss and took the football first. But after a three-and-out drive, the Wildcats drove down the field and scored to take an early 7-0 lead.

That lead continued to blow up throughout the first half, growing to 41-0 at halftime.
In the second half, the Wildcats slowed down offensively, but the Tarpons still couldn’t muster a touchdown, falling to a shutout defeat.

Throughout Friday night’s game, there were no residual effects on the field from last year’s meeting between the teams – the players on both sides played a hard, clean game that was free from personal foul penalties and other things expected in a traditional rivalry game.

Of course, that was in contrast to the teams’ 2013 game, which ended with four Destrehan coaches getting arrested after they confessed to hacking the Tarpons’ HUDL account and obtaining private video of South Lafourche’s practices.

But even with the players on the field playing nice, a few grudges are apparently still being held in the Destrehan camp toward South Lafourche.

Wildcats’ coach Stephen Robicheaux opted not to shake hands with the Tarpons’ coaches after the game, walking opposite the coaching line and patting a few players on the helmet before heading back to the team’s locker room.

According to Tarpons’ coaches, Robicheaux did the same in the two teams’ JV game earlier in the week – skirting through the line without making face-to-face contact with the team’s coaches.

The implicated Destrehan assistants involved in the HUDL-gate scandal lined up and shook hands with the team’s coaches, as did the rest of the team’s coaching staff besides Robicheaux.