Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Sunday, September 16, 2018



Share This Article:

Toddler said poisoned by necklace during Caribbean cruise

Toddler said poisoned by necklace during Caribbean cruise

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A Louisiana woman says her 2-year-old daughter is recovering from a near-fatal poisoning from a necklace bead while she was on a Caribbean cruise.

Twenty-nine-year-old Samantha Gandy says her daughter Audrey apparently swallowed beads from a necklace her grandmother had received during a previous cruise from a vendor at the dock in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

The Monroe, Louisiana, woman says the girl was drooling and burning with fever and was rushed to a hospital when the ship arrived Thursday in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

She says tests confirmed the child had been poisoned by a crab's eye necklace.

Copyright 2016* Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.