Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Share This Article:

Tarpons win last-second thriller over Gators

Tarpons win last-second thriller over Gators

After six weeks of struggles, South Lafourche finally got a “W”.

The Tarpons beat South Terrebonne 13-10 on Friday night, securing their first win of the season after an 0-6 start.

The Tarpons led throughout the game, but had to overcome a late, last-second scare from the Gators.

On the last drive of the game, the Gators pushed the ball inside the Tarpons’ 5-yard-line with 15 seconds to play. On third down, Gators’ quarterback Christian Arceneaux rolled to his right and was stopped by a wall of Tarpons’ defenders.

As the Gators pondered whether to run another play or bring on the field goal team, time expired, a late-game goal line stand that ended the game.

Coach Blake Forsythe said he was happy for his team, adding that they deserved to win one after a rough two-month stretch to open the year.

“The kids never quit. They’ve been working so hard. They needed this,” Forsythe said. “Our defense was excellent. They’ve been that way all year. Our offense grew up a little bit and got the job done. We’re just happy for the kids to finally get one under their belts.”

South Lafourche set the tone early.

The Gators got the ball first, and punted.

With possession, South Lafourche did something they’ve rarely done all season. They took the ball, marched straight down the field and scored a touchdown, on a run from Derin Doucet to go up 6-0.

That lead held until the second quarter when the Gators kicked a field goal to trim the deficit to 6-3, a score which held until halftime.

In the second half, South Lafourche grew their lead when South Terrebonne fumbled, one of several Gators turnovers in the game.

The Tarpons turned that turnover into points on a short touchdown run from Patrick Gisclair to go up 13-3, an advantage that held going into the fourth quarter.

But then, things got interesting.

Down 10 points with just 12 minutes to spare, South Terrebonne turned up the jets. They marched down the field on a long, lengthy touchdown drive with 7 minutes left in the game to cut the Tarpons’ lead to 13-10.

After South Lafourche turned over the ball on downs late, the Gators got it back with one more chance, and they nearly ruined the Tarpons’ party. They converted a 4th and 17 play on a long pass from Arceneaux to Payton Parr, then continued to push the ball into Tarpons’ territory.

But with the ball inside of the 10-yard-line, the Tarpons stiffened up, forcing two key plays before the game-saving third-down stop.

The Gators had no timeouts and couldn’t stop the clock, instead having to watch it bleed dry while the Tarpons celebrated.

South Lafourche now is 1-6 on the season, while the Gators are 4-3.

The Tarpons will take on Morgan City and Ellender in the next two weeks, games they’ll be favored to win.


It was just one of those days for Central Lafourche on Friday night at Hahnville.

The Trojans started slow, falling behind 14-0 in the opening quarter behind a Hahnville rush offense that ran wild at times throughout the game. They had their moments, but they could never quite catch up all the way, falling 42-30 to their Rival Parish rivals.

Coach Keith Menard said he was proud of his team’s effort against a Hahnville team that is currently No. 1 in the state in LHSAA power ratings.

“Our kids believed we could win this football game,” Menard said. “Not many other people gave us a chance, but we believed in ourselves and we kept fighting. I was happy to see that effort. We came up short, but we never backed down. That’s good to see.”

The Trojans just could never get out from that early 14-point hole.

They marched down the field and scored early in the second quarter on a touchdown pass from Ashtrein Duncan to Jansen Folse to trim the lead to 14-8.

But Hahnville won the rest of the half, adding a touchdown to go up 21-8, then stopping the Trojans from scoring late in the quarter after they marched into Hahnville territory.

“That was a big swing there, not getting to punch it in before half,” Menard said.

In the second half, the trams went back and forth, score for score.

But the Trojans could never get the defensive stop they needed to have a chance to tie or take the lead.

The Trojans cut Hahnville’s lead to 28-24 with 9 minutes to go in the game, but the Tigers scored with 6 minutes to go to make it 35-24.

The Trojans’ final score came with 2:28 to go on a touchdown run from Deon Jenkins which made it 35-30.

Late in the game, Hahnville was trying to run the clock out, but they broke one on a late-game touchdown run to send the game to its final margin.

Central Lafourche is now 5-2 on the season.