Sentencing delayed again for convicted Cut Off man
Sentencing for Robert Chouest, 32, of Cut Off, who was convicted of second-degree murder in a 2013 shooting, was delayed Tuesday for the second time.
Chouest is now set for a hearing and possible sentencing May 20 before state District Judge John LeBlanc.
Judge LeBlanc found Chouest guilty Jan. 29 for shooting Shawn Galjour, 41, of Larose, in the early morning of May 22, 2013.
Galjour, as reported in the Daily Comet, had been lying in Chouest's grandparents' driveway near the defendant's home on ABC Lane.
Chouest faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of probation, parole or suspension of sentence. His formal sentencing was originally set for Feb. 24, but it was delayed because his attorney, George Ledet Jr., of Cut Off, requested more time to file post-trial motions.
On Tuesday, LeBlanc agreed to give Ledet 30 more days to file those motions after Ledet said he was still working on them.
It was Chouest's second trial in this case. The first, held last year, ended with the jury unable to reach a verdict.
The jury forewoman said in court last year that the majority had voted guilty. Chouest later waived his right to a jury trial, meaning LeBlanc was to determine his fate.
Chouest testified during his trial that he'd been up for three days and consumed crystal methamphetamine, five rocks of crack cocaine, about six beers and several pain pills. He said he told his grandfather right after the shooting that he thought he'd shot an alligator.
Galjour's father also testified during the trial that his son was known to walk the streets after drinking. Toxicology tests showed the victim's blood-alcohol concentration was .140.
Posted on Thu, March 24, 2016
by The Lafourche Gazette