Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Share This Article:

Parish program helps provide fans to elderly and disabled residents

Parish program helps provide fans to elderly and disabled residents

Lafourche Parish Government’s Office of Community Action will be offering fans to elderly and disabled residents meeting Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) income guidelines beginning Aug. 11.

Persons in family 125% of Poverty
(1) $14,713
(2) $19,913
(3) $25,113
(4) 30,313
(5) $35,513
(6) 40,713
(7) $45,913
(8) $51,113

Executive Director of Community Action Freddia Ruffin-Roberson said these fans will be made available at the three outreach sites in Thibodaux, Mathews and Galliano.

“Our goal is and always is to help assist those in need of help,” she said. “With the heat we’ve been experiencing lately, it only makes sense to provide fans to some of the older citizens in our parish.”

To qualify, Lafourche residents must provide the following information to qualify for the program:
Proof of income (4 check stubs)
Social Security Cards
Proper Identification for head of household
All household expenses
Food stamp print out sheet updated in the last 30 days
Must be a resident of Lafourche Parish

The fans will be made available on first come, first served basis on the days and locations listed below:
Thibodaux Outreach Office (Lafourche Parish Health Unit), 2535 Veterans Blvd., Thibodaux, 985-446-6731; Wednesday, Aug. 12, 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m.

Mathews Site Office, 4876 Hwy 1, Mathews, 985-537-7603; Thursday, August 13, 9-11a.m. and 1-3 p.m.

The Resident Cooling Program is funded through a Federal Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), and to qualify for this program, families must be Lafourche Parish residents, and meet income guidelines.

Additionally, Roberson said a small number of portable 6,000 BTU air-conditioner units are available for residents currently on oxygen tanks.

For more information, call your local Community Action Office or visit