Royal Caribbean to offer year-round cruises from New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Royal Caribbean will begin year-round cruises from New Orleans beginning in January.
The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate reports the 2,744-passenger Majesty of the Seas will begin sailing out of the Port of New Orleans in 2020 and run through April 2021. It will sail on seven-night voyages — Saturday to Saturday — to the Bahamas and western Caribbean.
The port already is home to year-round cruises by two Carnival ships and to winter-season cruises aboard Norwegian Cruise Lines.
Royal Caribbean returned to New Orleans on a seasonal basis from December 2018 to March with the 2,435-passenger Vision of the Seas.
In 2018 Port NOLA set a record with 1.18 million cruise passengers and 235 ship calls. The port anticipates about 1.45 million cruise passengers and 341 ship calls in 2020.
Information from: The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate, http://www.nola.com
Data and analytics company estimates Barry damage between $500 million to $900 million
By David Jacobs – The Center Square
Tropical Storm/Hurricane Barry caused between $500 million and $900 million, according to an estimate by CoreLogic, a real estate data and analytics company.
Flood loss for residential and commercial properties in Louisiana is estimated to be between $200 million and $400 million including both storm surge and inland flooding. Insured flood loss from private insurers is estimated at less than $100 million. Wind losses are estimated to be an additional $300 million to $500 million.
Insured flood and wind losses, excluding National Flood Insurance Program losses, are between $300 million and $600 million, the firm’s report says. Insured residential and commercial flood loss covered by the NFIP is estimated to be between $100 million and $200 million. Uninsured flood loss is estimated to be approximately $100 million.
Mississippi River drops enough to begin closing big spillway
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Mississippi River is finally low enough again to let the Army Corps of Engineers begin closing a huge spillway after a record-breaking run diverting water into Lake Pontchartrain.
The corps said Monday in a news release that about 10 of the 168 open bays in the Bonnet Carré spillway would be closed by day's end.
Spokesman Matt Roe says full closing is expected to take about a week, with daily checks to make sure the river remains low enough to avoid stressing New Orleans' levees. The spillway was created to limit the river's rush past New Orleans, keeping it below 1.25 million cubic feet per second — an amount that would fill the Empire State Building in 30 seconds.
The spillway was opened for 44 days in February, March and April, and then reopened May 10 — the first time it has been opened twice in one year. The earlier opening marked the first time it had been opened in back-to-back years.
Posted on Tue, July 23, 2019
by The Lafourche Gazette