46,000 kicked off Louisiana Medicaid rolls for ineligibility
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — More than 46,000 people lost their Medicaid coverage last month, because they didn't respond to letters warning they didn't appear eligible for the government-financed insurance.
The removals came as the state health department resumed a process that automatically kicks people off Medicaid if they don't respond to annual renewal information requests.
Enrollees had until Oct. 31 to maintain coverage if they could prove eligibility.
The agency said in October that an estimated 82,000 letters would be sent to Medicaid patients. But the health department said 52,000 letters actually went out, after duplicates were removed from the count.
Department spokesman Robert Johannessen says during the same four-month period in 2018, more than 71,000 people lost Medicaid coverage for not providing renewal information. The department exempted children from automatic removal this time.
Louisiana deputies storm the wrong house with search warrant
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) — A Louisiana sheriff has apologized to the pastor and retired schoolteacher whose home was stormed by officers searching the wrong house for a wanted man.
Calcasieu Parish Sheriff Tony Mancuso said his office is investigating why the search warrant had the incorrect address.
The American Press reports deputies were looking for a 25-year-old wanted on domestic abuse battery charges.
Instead, deputies went Tuesday to the home of 79-year-old pastor Herman Weston and his wife Carol, who live with a granddaughter and her 3-week-old baby.
Carol Weston says officers stormed the house with their guns drawn. She says she was handcuffed and walked to the street corner, with no explanation. Herman Weston says he was "totally embarrassed" by the incident.
Mancuso says he met privately Wednesday with the Westons to apologize.
Information from: American Press, http://www.americanpress.com
10 wounded in shooting near New Orleans' French Quarter
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Ten people were shot and wounded early Sunday near the French Quarter in New Orleans, a popular spot for tourists. Hours later in another part of town, another shooting killed two men and wounded two others.
Police said both shootings remain under investigation, and authorities did not immediately draw any connection between them.
Two of the 10 people shot on Canal Street near the French Quarter were in critical condition in local hospitals, Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson said. No arrests were announced by midday Sunday, and police did not immediately release information about any of the victims.
He said New Orleans has seen a significant reduction in violent crime over the past four years.
Ferguson told The New Orleans Advocate/The Times-Picayune that a person of interest has been detained, but it was not immediately clear whether the person had any connection to the shooting.
Minimum stay requirement ending at Louisiana state parks
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — The Louisiana state parks system is ending a requirement that guests must stay at least three nights during weekday bookings at its campgrounds and cabins.
The minimum weekday stay ends Dec. 9 across the 21 parks.
The state parks system says the aim is give overnight guests and campers more flexibility.
Reservations for overnight stays can be made at www.ReserveLaStateParks.com or by calling 877-226-7652, up to 48 hours ahead of the check-in. If it's less than 48 hours from the visit, reservations must be made by calling a park directly.
Posted on Tue, December 3, 2019
by The Lafourche Gazette