New trial date set for Cut Off man
A Cut Off man’s new trial date has been set after a jury couldn't reach a verdict in the last trial held in March.
Robert Chouest, 32, is charged with second-degree murder in the May 22, 2013, shooting of Shawn Galjour, 41, of Larose.
Lafourche sheriff's deputies found Galjour's body about 4:45 a.m. in Chouest's grandparents' driveway near the defendant's home on ABC Lane.
Chouest's attorney, George Ledet Jr., of Cut Off, said the reason for the lengthy delay in retrying his client was simply that the judge's docket was full for the rest of the year.
According to a report in the Daily Comet, Chouest testified during his trial that he'd consumed beer, crystal methamphetamine, pain pills and crack cocaine before the shooting. Though he told detectives he knew the victim was human and that Galjour had been crawling toward Chouest's grandparents' home, he testified that he'd been awake for three days and thought Galjour was an alligator.
A coroner's report showed that the victim was also intoxicated at the time of the shooting. The lead detective on the case testified that he never determined why Galjour was on ABC Lane.
State District Judge John LeBlanc has scheduled Chouest's trial for Jan. 25, 2016.
Posted on Fri, May 15, 2015
by The Lafourche Gazette