Baton Rouge, La. – The Louisiana Medicaid Expansion program has reached a new milestone. To date, more than 326,000 new members have enrolled in Louisiana Medicaid Expansion and over 24,000 of those members have received preventative care visits with a provider.
Preventative care is also known as a well visit or check-up.
New and preventative care visits may include immunizations, lab tests, physical exams and prescriptions. These visits allow health care providers to identify and educate patients about potential health risks.
“The primary goal of expansion is to ensure better health outcomes for the working poor of Louisiana,” said Gov. John Bel Edwards. “Early data show that expansion is working, and our people are getting the health care services they need.”
New members were able to enroll beginning June 1, and use their coverage beginning July 1.
Early data shows that these members are already benefitting from coverage.
- Over 24,600 members have received preventative care visits with a provider;
- Almost 2,200 women have completed important screening and diagnostic breast imaging such as mammograms, MRI’s and ultrasounds;
- Over 1,660 adults have completed colonoscopies; and 393 patients had precancerous polyps removed
- Treatment has begun for 288 adults newly diagnosed with diabetes;
- and 676 patients have been newly diagnosed with hypertension.
“Our goal is to create affordable access to health care for all Louisiana residents,” said Dr. Rebekah Gee, secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health. “This data shows that patients are accessing health care services which is the first step to better health.”
Through Healthy Louisiana, hundreds of thousands of people now have coverage that is similar to what other working Louisianans have through their employer-based coverage.
Providing access to preventive screenings and primary care treatment for adults through Healthy Louisiana has been the goal of the expanded Medicaid program. The program has a goal of covering 375,000 adults by next June.
Posted on Tue, November 1, 2016
by The Lafourche Gazette