Gathering up your back-to-school supplies? Don’t forget your library card. Your library is a great place to do homework, find homework help for your children, or get that resource needed to finish up a project or other school activity.
In August, many branches of the Lafourche Parish Public Library will be hosting programs to help children of all ages learn to use the library effectively and discover the numerous resources available there. Learn to find books and articles, use online encyclopedias and other databases (provided for free through the library), and more in August at your library branch.
Younger children can learn about the library and its uses during a fun and educational story hour at the following branches:
- South Lafourche, 16241 E. Main St., Cut Off: Aug. 4, 10:30 a.m.
- Lockport, 720 Crescent Ave.: Aug. 6, 10:30 a.m.
- Larose, 305 E. Fifth St.: Aug. 13, 11 a.m.
A scavenger hunt at the Gheens Library, 153 N. Leon Drive, will take place at 4:30 p.m. on August 13 for families to learn about their library together.
The Raceland Branch, 177 Recreation Drive, will host a similar scavenger hunt at 4 p.m. on August 10.
The Golden Meadow Branch, 1403 N. Bayou Drive, will host a similar program at 4 p.m. on August 31.
Ask your library staff for help in learning to use library resources. They can guide you to the best resources for your particular need. Don’t forget, too, about planned activities to help children have a little fun before school begins.
Check out these “Back to School” activities planned:
- Enjoy a “Back to School” story hour and craft for children at 11 a.m. on August 4 at the South Lafourche Branch.
- Have fun, mingle with other children and play games for a chance to win prizes at the Golden Meadow Branch third annual “Back to School” social at 3 p.m. on August 6 at the library. Refreshments will be served.
- Children and teens can play games and mingle with friends at the Larose Branch at 5 p.m. on August 6. Refreshments will be served.
- Children of all ages can create a Back to School pencil holder craft at 4 p.m. on August 12 at the Raceland Branch.
- Children ages 5 to 10 can create a bookworm pen and pencil holder at 4 p.m. on August 10 at the Lockport Branch. Registration is required to attend the Lockport Branch craft.
For more information about library programs, visit the library’s website at www.lafourche.org or pick up a copy of your library branch’s monthly calendar.
Katina Gaudet is the librarian at the South Lafourche Branch. She can be reached at 632-7140 or email@example.com.
Posted on Fri, July 31, 2015
by The Lafourche Gazette