The South Lafourche Branch Library, 16241 E. Main Street, in Cut Off, is seeking two teen summer interns (ages 16 or 17) from the South Lafourche area for 50 hours of work during the 2015 Summer Reading Program. Teens will earn $10 per hour, for a total summer stipend of $500.
Interested teens should pick up an application at the library or request one by emailing Katina Gaudet at email@example.com. For more information, call the library at (985) 632-7140. The deadline to submit applications is April 30.
All branches of the Lafourche Parish Public Library will be observing National Library Week, April 12 – 18, to celebrate the contributions of libraries throughout the country. Stop by your local branch for Library Week programs, open house, and more. Pick up your library’s calendar of monthly events or visit the website at www.lafourche.org for more information.
Several branches are celebrating Money Smart Week, a public awareness campaign designed to help people become better familiar with finances. Check out these Money Smart Week programs:
- Test your money smarts during Money Smart Week with games and challenges at 5 p.m. on April 21 at the Lockport Branch, 720 Crescent Avenue. This program is open to people of all ages.
- Certified Financial Planner John Sirois will conduct a free presentation on long-term care and estate planning in Louisiana from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. on April 22 at the Larose Branch, 305 E. Fifth Street.
Amateur photographers of any age can participate in the Lockport Library’s fifth annual amateur photography contest from April 1 through April 10. Two photo entries per participant are allowed. Prizes will be awarded during an awards reception at 4 p.m. on April 15. Visit the library, for more information.
Take free photos with the Easter bunny from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on April 1 at the South Lafourche Branch. Parents are welcome to bring their own cameras, but the library will provide a free copy to be picked up at a later date.
Children and their families are invited to the Lockport Library’s Easter egg hunt at 10:30 a.m. on April 2 at the Town of Lockport’s Bayou Side Park, weather permitting. Contests will be held for the most and least eggs found and for finding the Golden Egg. Each child will receive a prize. Bring your Easter baskets.
The Raceland Library, 177 Recreation Drive, will host an Easter egg hunt for children at 4 p.m. on April 2. Don’t forget your camera to take photos with the Easter bunny.
Lafourche libraries are celebrating Earth Day and Arbor Day in April. Check out these special programs:
- The South Lafourche Library will host an Earth Day story hour and craft for children at 10:30 a.m. on April 21. Children at story hour will receive a native Louisiana tree sapling for planting, while supplies last, thanks to the Golden Meadow Plant Materials Center.
- People of all ages are welcome to attend an Earth Day story hour and craft program at 5:30 p.m. on April 9 at the Raceland Library. The Raceland Branch will also host an Arbor Day story hour and craft program at 4 p.m. on April 23.
- The Golden Meadow Library will host an Earth Day story hour and craft at 3 p.m. on April 22. All ages are welcome to attend.
- The Larose Branch will have an Earth Day craft for children up to five years of age at 11:30 a.m. on April 23.
- The Lockport Library invites children to create an Earth Day mobile at 4 p.m. on April 23. The craft is geared to children ages 4 to 12, but all ages are welcome. Registration is required to attend, so sign up at the library.
Those ages 8 to 18 can make and test models inspired by Leonardo da Vinci at 5 p.m. on April 8 at the Lockport Branch Library; Larose Branch Library, April 13, 10 a.m.; and South Lafourche Branch, April 14, 10:30 a.m.
Author and veteran law enforcement officer B.J. Bourg will sign copies of his new book James 516 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on April 18 at the South Lafourche Library.
Children and teens can visit different Makerfaire booths to explore circuit building, water resistance, hovercrafts, 3D drawing and more at the Lockport Library’s Spring Makerfaire at 5 p.m. on April 22 at the library.
Posted on Tue, March 31, 2015
by The Lafourche Gazette