Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Wednesday, November 14, 2018



Share This Article:

Larose man found guilty for sexual battery

Larose man found guilty for sexual battery

A Lafourche Parish Jury has found a Larose man guilty as charged Thursday, October 24th for the sexual battery of a juvenile victim, following a three-day trial.

Christopher Odis, 45, faces between 25 and 99 years in prison at hard labor because the jury also determined that the crimes were committed upon a victim who was under the age of thirteen. 

“I’m very proud of the juvenile victim for coming forward, taking the stand and stopping any future abuse by this man,” said First Assistant District Attorney Kristine Russell, who prosecuted the case along with ADA Steve Miller.

The evidence at trial included the live and video testimony of the victim, now 16 years old, as well as evidence that Odis had previously been convicted of a similar crime.

“This conviction gives us the opportunity to take a dangerous predator out of society for a long time,” said District Attorney Camille A. Morvant, II.  “Despite the chance this man had following his prior conviction, he has proven by his actions that he belongs in prison.”

The investigation into the most recent crime began on April 25, 2011, when the victim was brought to the Terrebonne General emergency room complaining that she had been molested by Odis.  The subsequent investigation was handled by the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office and the Child Advocacy Center of Lafourche.

As a matter of policy, the Lafourche Parish District Attorney’s Office does not identify the juvenile victims of sexual crimes.

Sentencing is set for November 21 at 1:30 p.m. before the Honorable Walter I. Lanier, III, who presided over the trial this week.