Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Sunday, November 18, 2018



Share This Article:

Lafourche Parish Government To Host Electrical Safety Meeting For Local Residents

Lafourche Parish Government To Host Electrical Safety Meeting For Local Residents

A recent fire in Choctaw, attributed in part to improper use of electrical cords, is the topic of a safety meeting planned for 6 p.m. June 4 at the Choctaw Volunteer Fire Station, 2884 Choctaw Road, Thibodaux.

Officials with Lafourche Parish Government are inviting the public to a meeting about home electrical safety as a result of this fire and others in the recent past. Entergy representatives Don Breaux and Deanna Lafont will demonstrate the proper use extension cords around the home as well as electrical safety in general. The state fire marshal’s office will be represented as well.

“When it comes to extension cords, plugs and electrical outlets, there are potential dangers that can cause fires and injuries to people and property,” Lafourche Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness Director Chris Boudreaux said. “We encourage the community to attend this public meeting to learn more about preventative measures they can take to protect themselves and others from electrical dangers around their homes.”

Funding assistance is available to qualified homeowners to install electrical service to the structure through the parish’s Community Action Agency. More information will be available at the meeting.

“We organized this important meeting to stress the importance of electrical safety from the experts in order to attempt to prevent future tragedies,” Lafourche Parish President Charlotte Randolph said.

To learn more about safety steps you can take around your home to guard against electrical dangers, visit nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/causes/electrical/electrical-safety-in-the-home/electrical-safety-tips.