Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Share This Article:

Lafourche Govt. to assist families with bills

Lafourche Govt. to assist families with bills

With the holidays quickly approaching, do you find yourself having trouble paying your rent, utility bill, or both?
Lafourche Parish Government’s Office of Community Action understands things happen beyond your control, which force you to make difficult decisions regarding your personal finances.

To that end, the Office of Community Action has programs to assist parish residents who meet certain income guidelines.

One of the main programs administered though the Office of Community Action is Emergency Assistance that provides one-month’s rent/mortgage payment per year, the paying of one utility bill and general help with certain household expenses.

When applying for this aid, Lafourche Parish residents should bring the following items with them when visiting the outreach offices located in Thibodaux, 2535 Veterans Blvd., Mathews, 4876 Highway 1, and Cut Off, 1621 East Main Street Suite 13B:

- Proof of income for everyone in the household – If paid weekly: last 4 check stubs; Bi-weekly: last 2 check stubs. If no income, must provide a statement from the person that helps with household expense, along with his/her contact number.

- ID/License for head of household

- Social Security Cards and birthdates for everyone in the household

- Current Food Stamp printout (no more than 30 days old)

- Current SSI or SSA awards letter

- Current unemployment benefit

- Letter Separation/Discharge Letter from last employer

- Landlord letter and W-9 completed by landlord

- All household monthly bills/receipts (rent/mortgage, utilities)

Qualifying income guidelines vary according to household members, monthly and annual income.

It must be emphasized that the Office of Community Action goal is to prevent homelessness through assisting needy families receive additional money from the state and referrals to other agencies. State regulations are strict and funds are limited. According to the need, the agency is allowed to pay one-month rent/mortgage, utility deposits, damage deposit, utility bills, lodging, and medication and emergency food.

For more information about this and other services provided by the Office of Community Action, visit or call (985) 537-7603.