I would like to reintroduce myself to many of you good and concerned citizens of the Tenth Ward. It is with great anticipation that I would like to announce my candidacy for Port Seat C.
My name is Jimmy “T-Jim” P. Lafont, son of the late Janet “Honey” Pitre Lafont and Adam “Lou Lou” Lafont. I am 64 years old and have been a lifelong resident of Cut Off. I have been married to June Callais Lafont, a retired teacher who continues to devote her time to the school system, for over 42 years. We have two daughters, Jeanne Lafont Olivier, 37 and Tamara Lafont, 27. We are the proud grandparents of one grandson, Colin Olivier, 14. I am also the son-in-law of Johnny and Anna Mae Callais.
I have been employed in the Tenth Ward for the past 48 years. First, as an oyster fisherman and later as a deckhand, tankerman, boat captain, and lastly, office manager for Callais and Sons, LLC.
I have maintained my presence and support for the Greater Lafourche Port Commission and remain motivated to tackle the issues we will face for continued growth. My priorities have always been and will continue to be moving vital commodities safely, environmental concerns, ensuring homeland security, and protecting family-wage jobs.
I hope the following list of past accomplishments, current affiliations, and experiences with higher legislation prove me to be the future advocate you see the Greater Lafourche Port Commission needs.
- Testified in Washington D.C. in front of the Congress House, Ways, and Means committee on behalf of the local mariners.
- Formerly appointed by Elizabeth Dole, past Secretary of Transportation, to become a member of Lower Mississippi River Safety Advisory Committee.
- Member of industry established organizations: American Waterway Operators, Certified Responsible Carrier Program, Seaman’s Church Institute, a charity for pastoral care, maritime education, law and advocacy, Gulf Intracoastal Canal Association, Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Association, and Towing Marine Safety Association (one of two companies in the area certified).
- Bayou Fellowship 484 and Jerusalem Lafourche Shriners Club.
- Served on Board of Directors and recruitment captain of Manresa Retreat House
- Appointed as a chairman of the Saints Fan Advisory Board for three terms.
- Greater Lafourche Port Commission (12 years) and served as Vice-President (6 years).
Having become very interested and informed on navigation and safety for the Lower Mississippi region and its surrounding ports and waterways, I look to the future for the continued development of our port and its importance to our community and economy.
I humbly ask for your support in the upcoming election in hopes to become part of OUR vision for the future of Port Fourchon, the people of our community, state and country. Your time is greatly appreciated.
Posted on Tue, July 24, 2018
by The Lafourche Gazette