La. state income tax filing begins Jan. 20, refunds begin Feb. 24
The Louisiana Department of Revenue (LDR) will begin accepting 2014 state individual income tax returns the same day as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Tuesday, January 20. LDR will begin processing returns on February 3 and will start issuing refunds Tuesday, February 24.
Following the initial February 24 refund date, the expected refund processing time for returns filed electronically is up to 21 days. For paper returns, taxpayers should expect to wait 8 to 10 weeks.
Additionally, to safeguard taxpayers against fraudulent activity, including the suspicion of identity theft, a small percentage of refunds are delayed. When this occurs, the taxpayer is contacted through written correspondence with further instructions.
Delays can also occur when taxpayers fail to keep their most current contact information on file, including their name, address, and telephone number. If needed, taxpayers can visit www.revenue.louisiana.gov to update their contact information.
On January 20, state income tax forms will become available at www.revenue.louisiana.gov/taxforms.
To file taxes electronically, taxpayers can visit Louisiana File Online, the state's free web portal for individual and business tax filers at www.revenue.louisiana.gov/fileonline. With Louisiana File Online, taxpayers can:
* File returns and pay taxes electronically
* Check the status of individual income tax refunds
* Amend tax returns
* View business tax information for current and previous years
* There are no fees associated with its use. Taxpayers may also use commercial tax preparation software to file their state income taxes.
* Taxpayers can check the status of a refund by visiting www.revenue.louisiana.gov/refund or by calling 888-829-3071.
Posted on Fri, January 16, 2015
by The Lafourche Gazette