Organizers of the 1st Annual Kids’ Fishing Rodeo are gearing up for the event in the hopes of getting more kids into the sport of fishing and appreciating the outdoors.
The rodeo will be held on Saturday, July 26th at the Lockport Bayouside Park. The rodeo will start at safe daylight (approximately 5 a.m.) with weigh-in beginning that afternoon at 4 p.m.
Entry fee is $20 per child for ages 3-13.
Categories include Heaviest Bream Stringer (5 fish total), Heaviest Sac-a-Lait Stringer (5 fish total), Lunker Bass (1st place only) and Lunker Catfish (1st place only).
The area to fish will extend from Lake Bouef to the Lockport area, including Bayou Lafourche, Lake Salvador, and Des Allemands.
Have more than one child to enter? No problem! Children can fish as partners and weigh-in their fish separate or weigh-in both catches combined, (5 bream or sac-a-lait total. Bass and catfish entered separately).
Don’t have a boat? Again, no problem! Participants can fish from the banks of Bayou Lafourche or at the Lockport Bayouside Park.
Event will include prizes for each child entered, music, food and drinks. All entry fees and sponsor donations will go toward needed items like prizes for kids entered, food drinks and other tournament related items. All remaining proceeds after the rodeo has ended will be donated to St. Jude's Children's Hospital.
Registration forms can be picked up at Vic's Touchdown Grill in Mathews, Capt'n Kurts Tackle Shop in Lockport, and Sugarland Hardware in Raceland.
Deadline to sign up is July 24th so let's get those kiddos signed up!
For registration forms, or more information, contact Jarrod at (985) 860-4177 or email@example.com.
- All participants must be registered and have entry fee paid before fishing.
- No alcoholic beverages allowed during the tournament or at the weigh-in site.
- All participants must be accompanied by an adult (18 or older) at all times.
- All state and federal fishing and boating laws must be observed.
- Adults may cast for participants in the 3-6 year age group but cannot hook or land fish.
- Bank and dock fishing are allowed.
- All fish must be caught before weigh-in has started.
- No reckless operation of boats allowed.
- All fish must be caught with rod and reel, nets may be used to land hooked fish only. (No traps, trout lines, yo-yos, etc.).
Posted on Wed, July 2, 2014
by The Lafourche Gazette