Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Sunday, September 16, 2018



Share This Article:

Kidnappings Suspect released after three admit to false report

Kidnappings Suspect released after three admit to false report

Lafourche Parish Sheriff Craig Webre announced a man arrested for kidnapping on Sunday has been released from jail after the victim and two witnesses recanted their statements to detectives.

Charges have been dropped against Kaleb Bruce, 21, of Cut Off, and he was released Friday, July 17. Meanwhile, David Nelson Jr., 17, of Galliano and two juveniles now face charges for lying to detectives about the incident.

Through the initial investigation, detectives learned two male juveniles of ages 12 and 15 were walking along West 163rd Street in Galliano during the early morning hours of Sunday, July 5, when Bruce pulled up alongside. According to statements from the boys told detectives that Bruce then grabbed the 12-year-old and placed him in the rear seat of his vehicle. They also said Bruce placed a duffel bag over the boy's face and tied his hands together. The 12-year-old claimed he was able to escape after about 15 minutes. The boys first ran to the home of David Nelson, Jr. who corroborated the boys' statements about the incident.

Detectives then made contact with Bruce who admitted to making contact with the juveniles, but denied the kidnapping allegations. Based on statements and evidence, detectives established probable cause and arrested Bruce for the charge of simple kidnapping. He was booked into the Lafourche Parish Detention Center in Thibodaux, and Judge F. Hugh Larose set his bond at $100,000.

Then on Thursday, July 9, detectives re-opened the investigation after obtaining information that the kidnapping story had been fabricated. Detectives made contact with the two boys, as well as Nelson, and all three admitted to their involvement in helping fabricate the kidnapping story. All three were charged with criminal mischief for filing a false police report. The 12-year-old, who detectives say spurred the fabricated story, was taken into custody and placed at the Lafourche Parish Juvenile Detention Center in Thibodaux.

The 15-year-old was charged as a juvenile and released to the custody of his parents, and Nelson was issued a criminal summons.

Charges on Kaleb Bruce were subsequently dropped, and he was released from the Detention Center at around 5:30 p.m. on Friday.