Jailed ex-New Orleans mayor gets more time for appeal briefs
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Federal public defenders have been granted more time to work on the appeal for former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, who is serving a 10-year sentence for corruption.
Briefs in Nagin's appeal had been due Monday, but the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals pushed back the deadline to April 9.
Federal prosecutors did not object to the delay, which was granted last week.
Public defenders Claude Kelly and Jordan Mark Siverd were appointed to the case last year after Nagin's previous attorney, Robert Jenkins, said the former mayor was unable to pay him.
Nagin, a Democrat, had been elected as a reformer when he took office in 2002. But prosecutors said graft in his administration began before Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005 and flourished afterward. Bribes included money, free vacations and truckloads of free granite for his family business.
He was convicted on 20 of 21 federal counts, including charges of bribery, conspiracy and money laundering.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Posted on Tue, March 31, 2015
by Associated Press