In an effort to help Keep Lafourche Parish Clean, Lafourche Parish Government will conduct a Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day for Lafourche Parish residents on Saturday, April 13th.
The collection will take place between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon in the Lafourche Parish Government Complex parking lot located at 4876 La. Hwy 1, Mathews, La., just south of Central Lafourche High School and Walmart in Mathews.
This is a residential-only collection. Items generated by commercial businesses are strictly prohibited and will not be accepted. Residents will be required to show proof of residency in Lafourche Parish (current month water or electric bill is acceptable).
Acceptable items include the following:
- Household Products: (oven cleaners, corrosive cleaners, cleaning solvents, toilet and drain cleaners, bleach, degreasers, disinfectants, polishes, aerosol cans, cooking oil, glue, mothballs and pool chemicals);
- Paints: (oil-based and latex paints, stains and varnishes, paint thinners, turpentine, wood preservatives and arsenic);
- Electronic Equipment: (televisions, stereos, computers, copiers, cell phones, fax machines and ink cartridges);
- Automotive Products: (automobile tires, strictly limited to 5 per participant), used oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, diesel, and oil and fuel filters);
- Lawn and Garden Products: (herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, fertilizer and bug sprays);
- Batteries: (NiCad, lead acid, alkaline and rechargeable);
- Flammables: (propane tanks and lighter fluid);
- Miscellaneous: (acids, metallic mercury, fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent bulbs).
Items that will not be accepted include ammunition, explosives, fireworks, fire extinguishers, appliances, furniture, power tools, radioactive devices (smoke/fire detectors), large gas cylinders (such as helium, Freon or acetylene), Styrofoam, construction/demolition debris, school lab waste and liquids in containers larger than five gallons.
Posted on Fri, April 5, 2019
by The Lafourche Gazette