Bishop Sam Jacobs has announced nine pastoral appointments in the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux that take effect June 26.
“There is a basic understanding that priests are assigned to a church for six years and then they’re transferred. The same goes with foreign priests, but they are only assigned to a church for three years,” said diocese spokesman Louis Aguirre.
A personnel board focuses on the priests and the available locations. Once they have worked together and found the best match they make a recommendation to Jacobs, who has the final say.
The following changes will be made:
- The Rev. John Arogyasami, an associate pastor at St. Joseph Co-Cathedral in Thibodaux since January, has been appointed associate pastor at St. Mary’s Nativity Church in Raceland for three years.
- The Rev. Jay Baker, rector of St. Joseph Co-Cathedral since 2004 and vicar general since 2003, has been appointed administrator of St. Mary’s Nativity Church in Raceland for one year. He will continue his current duties.
- The Rev. Simon Engurait, ordained May 25, has been appointed associate pastor at the Cathedral of St. Francis De Sales in Houma for three years.
- The Rev. Alex Lazarra, an associate pastor at St. Bernadette Church in Houma since 2010, has been appointed pastor at St. Hilary of Poitiers Church in Mathews for one year.
- The Rev. Andre’ Melancon, an associate pastor at the Cathedral of St. Francis de Sales since 2011, has been appointed pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Thibodaux for six years.
- The Rev. John Theckevalliara, a full time chaplain at Thibodaux Regional Medical Center since 2011, has been appointed as associate pastor at Christ the Redeemer Church in Thibodaux for one year.
- The Rev. Mark Toups, a diocesan director of seminarians since 2004, has been appointed as administrator of Christ the Redeemer Church for one year. He will also continue his duties.
- The Rev. Mike Tran, pastor of St. Mary’s Nativity Church since 2011, has been appointed pastor of Annunziata Catholic Church in Houma for six years.
- The Rev. Mario Veloso, an associate pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary Church in Larose, has been appointed administrator of St. Joseph Church in Galliano for one year.
Posted on Tue, June 4, 2013