Baby snatched by gunman who wounded parents is found dead
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) — A 3-week-old baby abducted by a gunman who shot and wounded her parents and an uncle at a Southern California residence has been found dead, and authorities are searching for the assailant.
The identification of Eliza Delacruz came after detectives from Long Beach traveled to San Diego County to help authorities investigate the discovery of remains in a dumpster Sunday behind an Imperial Beach strip mall.
"The suspect who committed these horrific crimes" remains on the loose, Long Beach police said in a statement.
They are seeking a man but have not said if he is related to the baby.
The gunman's motive is unknown but detectives do not believe the shooting was a random act, Long Beach police spokeswoman Marlene Arrona said.
The 10-pound child had been declared missing after police received a call about the shooting Saturday evening, went to the home and found two brothers and the baby's mother with gunshot wounds.
Two victims remained hospitalized in critical but stable condition early Monday. The other was treated and released.
The baby's remains were discovered Sunday afternoon, and the San Diego County coroner's office later identified them as those of the child, police said. There was no immediate word on how she died.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Posted on Tue, January 6, 2015
by Associated Press