The Lafourche Planning Commission rejected initial plot designs of a mobile home park in Cut Off last week, citing concerns over frontage spacing.
The commission was split in a 2-2 vote with one member being absent. Those voting against it were Dennis Switzer and Malcolm Landry, who later said the plans did not account for the regulated 20-foot spacing requirement from the property line. Commission members Darren Duet and Irene Zeringue voted to approve the plots. Donna McBroom-Theriot was absent.
“If you come back with the 20-foot setback, I’ll vote for it,” Landry said.
Several residents of East 39th and 40th streets, which neighbor the proposed site, spoke in opposition. They raised a number of concerns about safety, noise and drainage.
“Nothing positive comes from that,” East 40th Street resident Matthew Carrel said.
The developer is looking to create 11 mobile home spaces on the property. If the plats were approved, the project would move into the engineering phase and return to the commission for another approval, parish Planning Manager Pat Matherne said.
Despite residents’ concerns, Switzer said the parish’s lack of zoning ordinances means the commission must rely on the subdivision or mobile home regulations when approving these plans. If a developer meets the requirements, then they don’t have any legal basis to deny the application.
The Planning Commission does not have the authority to determine land use, Matherne said.
Alecia Champagne, with Charles L. McDonald Land Surveyor Inc., spoke on behalf of the project, saying these plat designs were “very preliminary” and the developer would abide by all parish regulations.
Champagne said she plans to resubmit the designs to the commission.
The commission did unanimously approve preliminary plats for the Moss Cove subdivision in Thibodaux. Acadia Land Surveying, LLC submitted the application for 80 lots on the north side of Talbot Avenue near the intersection with Waverly Road.
Drainage problems in the Waverly Road area has been highly discussed by residents and parish officials. One resident, Alvin Naquin, spoke out against the Moss Cove subdivision, saying the area is already in a crisis state.
Naquin criticized the administration for not addressing the drainage problems in that area.
“We’re living the American nightmare because someone wants to fill their pockets all the time,” he said.
The Public Works Department has met with Naquin and the engineers and developers of the project several times and the drainage plan exceeds parish requirements, compliance officer Aaron Frymoyer said.
The parish requires that post-construction runoff does not exceed pre-construction runoff. According to the proposed plans, runoff will actually decrease after construction, Frymoyer said.
The commission also unanimously approved preliminary designs for 78 new lots in phase two of the Settlement at Live Oak subdivision in Thibodaux without any public opposition.
-- Daily Comet Staff Writer Julia Arenstam can be reached at 448-7636 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter at @gingerale214.
Posted on Tue, June 5, 2018
by By Julia Arenstam Daily Comet Staff Writer