Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Share This Article:

Trojans score thrilling victory over South Lafourche

Trojans score thrilling victory over South Lafourche


Central Lafourche finally got one against their biggest rivals.

The Trojans trumped South Lafourche 41-34 on Friday night – a thrilling game that featured more than 1,000 yards of offense and countless big plays.

With the win, the Trojans are now 4-0 on the season. It’s the first time the team has beaten South Lafourche in eight years.

Coach Keith Menard said after the game that the win is nice, but it’s just one victory in a 10-game journey.

But even the often-stoic Menard conceded that the game meant a little more to his team than others.

“We want to go 10-0,” Menard said. “And for us to do that, we have to win every week, which means every game is important. I can’t break, and I can’t say that this one is bigger than any other. … But look at the kids. They’re still out there celebrating. I don’t know that it takes a lot of clues to see that this was a game that our guys wanted pretty badly to win.”

Friday’s game had a little bit of everything.

The first quarter started slow with each team trading stalled drives with one another, which pushed the game into the second quarter in a scoreless tie.

But then things heated up.

In the second quarter, the Trojans caught fire, scoring two-straight Jake Allemand passing touchdowns – one to David Robinson and the other to Kenneth Poindexter – to go on top 14-0 midway through the second quarter.

But the Tarpons battled back.

South Lafourche scored twice in the final five minutes of the half – one on a pass from Jaydon Cheramie to Chandler Lefort and the other a pass from Cheramie to Corbin Allen – to send the game to halftime with the Trojans on top 21-13.

“I thought the points before the half were big for us,” South Lafourche coach Brandon Nowlin said. “I thought they really allowed us to settle in and get some momentum in the second half. The problem was that we started the second half as slow as we did the first. Every time we got something going, it was when we were against the scoreboard and absolutely needed it. We never could get ahead of the game.”

As Nowlin said, the Tarpons sputtered early in the second half, which allowed the Trojans to feast.

Central Lafourche scored twice in the third quarter to take a 34-13 lead – an advantage that many thought would send the game into a blowout.

The first score was a 27-yard touchdown from halfback Nelton Allen. The other was a pass from Allemand to Poindexter.

But the Tarpons weren’t done.

After falling into the 21-point rut, Cheramie got hot, hitting two-straight deep touchdown passes to Damarcus Caine to make the game interesting again in the fourth quarter.

After the deep passes, both teams scored again, which gave the Trojans the ball late with a seven-point advantage.

The Tarpons’ defense stiffened enough to get the ball back with less than a minute to play, but nothing materialized.

South Lafourche got a few first downs, but then ran out of time, which sealed the victory for Central.

“We just had a few too many mistakes,” Nowlin said. “We didn’t finish drives. We missed a field goal. We turned over the ball. We had penalties. All of those things add up. We lost a football game by seven points to a damned good opponent, and we did all of those things wrong. We have a heck of a team here. It’s on me as our head coach to fix a lot of those things.”

After the game, the teams met at midfield and Menard addressed both clubs, calling it one of the best games he’d ever been part of.

Then, they prayed – together.

Two rivals that were divided on the field for 48 minutes, but then united after it to give thanks.

“We’re rivals, but we came together to give thanks for such a beautiful night,” Menard said. “To me, battling someone for 48 minutes, then grabbing their hand in prayer after – to me, that’s what it’s all about.”