Your Community Newspaper - Larose, LA

Serving Raceland, Gheens, Lockport, Valentine, Larose, Cut Off, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Leeville, & Grand Isle

Share This Article:

Trojans score thrilling victory

Trojans score thrilling victory

The season is still very young, yes.

But the Central Lafourche football team won a game Friday night that will go down as one of the most thrilling games of the 2016 prep football season.

The Trojans trumped Vandebilt Catholic 42-35 at Buddy Marcello Stadium – a game which featured 11 touchdowns and was dramatic all the way to the last second.

On the final play of the game, Vandebilt quarterback Andrew Robison scrambled and made a push toward the end zone for what would have been the game-tying touchdown.

At the goal line, he was met by Trojan defenders who pushed him out of bounds a half-yard short – a thrilling ending to a fantastic game.

With the win, the Trojans are now 2-0 on the season for the second-straight season.

“I have a few more grey hairs,” Central Lafourche coach Keith Menard said after the game. “I’m still catching my breath. It was an outstanding game between two good programs. We’re really proud of the kids for how they responded on the road. It would have easy for us many times to say, ‘Oh well, tonight isn’t our night.’ But we kept battling and found a way to get the win.”

For the second-straight week, the Trojans had to battle back from behind.

Vandebilt scored a pair of first-quarter touchdowns to go ahead 14-0 after the first quarter – a deficit which Menard said awoke his team on both sides of the ball.

The Trojans battled back and cut the lead to seven before halftime, a 21-14 Terriers advantage. 

Menard said the Trojans’ offensive performance was excellent on Friday night. Central Lafourche quarterback Jake Allemand had more than 300 yards passing – most of which were to receivers Kenneth Poindexter and David Robinson, who combined for 19 catches and well more than 200 yards.

On the ground, Nelton Allen went over 100 yards, we well.

“We moved the ball really, really well,” Menard said. “We turned over the ball a little more than we would have liked, but outside of the negative plays, I thought we did an excellent job moving the ball down the field. We ran more than 80 plays. I don’t think I’ve ever had that many snaps in as long as I’ve been in coaching.”

In the second half, the shootout continued with both teams getting two-third-quarter touchdowns, which sent the game to the fourth quarter with Vandebilt clinging to a 35-28 edge.

And then madness ensued.

In the fourth quarter, Central’s defense stiffened, which changed the complexion of the game. The Trojans scored a touchdown, but failed the 2-point conversion, which brought the score within one – a 35-34 Vandebilt advantage.

With possession of the ball and the lead with just more than two minutes to play, Vandebilt tried to ice the game, but couldn’t. Quarterback Andrew Robison threw a late interception, which turned over possession to the Trojans.

With it, Central drove straight down the field on one play – a 66-yard strike from Alemand to Robinson, which gave the Trojans the 42-35 lead after a successful two-point conversion.

Vandebilt had one final stand, driving deep into Trojans territory. But the last-ditch effort was thwarted when Central Lafourche’s defense pushed the Terriers’ quarterback out of play – just inches short of his destination. 

“The kids had a lot of emotion at the end,” Menard said. “It meant a lot to our young team.”

The Trojans will take on South Terrebonne next week in Mathews. 


South Lafourche looked like it was poised to run away from Carver Collegiate Academy on Friday night in Galliano.

The Tarpons led 27-14 at halftime and were moving the ball at will against the Rams’ defense.

But in the second half things changed, and the end result was South Lafourche’s first loss of the season.

The Rams rallied past the Tarpons 28-27 on Friday night – a loss which drops the Tarpons to 1-1 on the season.

Coach Brandon Nowlin said the loss was disappointing, and he takes the blame.

South Lafourche gained less than 20 yards in the second half after racking up four-straight touchdown drives in the first 24 minutes of the game.

“It’s on me. I take the blame. I have to get us into the end zone,” Nowlin said. “Give those guys credit, but it’s a matter of execution for us and we didn’t execute in the second half. They made a few small adjustments and brought some extra pressure and we just didn’t answer the bell.”

The early stages of the game looked like a Tarpon blowout. 

South Lafourche moved with ease in the first half, getting three touchdowns from halfback Corbin Allen and more than 100 yards rushing from quarterback Jaydon Cheramie.

But late in the first half with the Tarpons up 27-14, Cheramie took a hard shot, which briefly forced him out of the game.

He returned in the second half, but wasn’t the same, helping allow the Rams to chip away at the lead.

“We have to keep an eye on him,” Nowlin said. “He wasn’t the same player after the injury. We couldn’t get him back going the way we’d done before.”

In the third quarter, Carver chipped away when quarterback Izea Hurst scored on a scramble to cut the lead to 27-21.

Carver took control late in the fourth quarter when Hurst connected with Gary Young on a long touchdown to bring the game to its final margin.

The Tarpons will take on Thibodaux on Friday – their first road game of the season.